Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Kids Special Events
TODDLER & BABY STORY TIMES
Ages 0-3: Toddler Story Time encourages early literacy and helps develop language skills and social skills through the use of simple books, fun fingerplays, and action rhymes. Children learn the joy of choosing a book and shared reading. Click here to register individually for each class.
- Tuesday, Jan. 31: 10:30am
- Thursday, Feb. 2: 10:30am
- Tuesday, Feb. 14: 10:30am
- Thursday, Feb. 16: 10:30am
PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES
Ages 3-5: We read stories, do fun fingerplays, sing songs, play letter-recognition games, make crafts, and more. Your 3-5 year old will join us for a fun time and develop independence, literacy, language, and social skills as well as positive associations with reading and the library. Caregivers do not attend the class, but must stay in the library. Click here to register individually for each class.
- Tuesday, Feb. 7: 10:30am
- Wednesday, Feb. 8: 10:30am
- Tuesday, Feb. 21: 10:30am
- Wednesday, Feb. 22: 10:30am
Booklists for Kids
From award winning books to anti-racism reading lists, check out our Kids Booklists for great reads!
Story Time Kits
Now you can have Story Times at home! Each Virtual Story Time kit includes links to readalongs, music, movies, and crafts or coloring pages themed around specific holidays or seasons.
- Winter Story Time Kit
- Spring Story Time Kit
- Mother's Day Story Time Kit
- Summer Story Time Kit
- Autumn Story Time Kit
- Thanksgiving Story Time Kit
- Fairy Tales Story Time Kit
Explore More Illinois is a cultural pass program that allows Illinois public library cardholders to get offers from museums, park districts, historical societies, performing and visual arts centers, and other attractions. Explore More Illinois is free and can be accessed 24/7 from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Log in with your library card credentials and browse for passes by date or attractions. Make your reservation and print or download your pass shortly before your visit. You can have two active reservations per library card. Please cancel your reservation(s) if unable to attend, otherwise the reservation will count as being used. Remember that once you print or download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation.
Use your library card to checkout passes for free admission or a special discount at participating Chicago area cultural destinations. This includes the popular Brookfield Zoo! Request a pass by clicking here. Passes are now available to request online, and we will email you the pass within 1-2 business days. Once issued, passes are good for 7 days. Only one pass can be issued to a family at a time. For a full list of museums and how the Museum Adventure Program works, click here.
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets has some new additions! We recently acquired three additional pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 14 different tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7) #1
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5) #2
- From the Inside Out! - Science (Ages 3-5) #3
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10) #7
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7) #9
- Be My Hero! - Real Life Heroes (Ages 5-7) #11
- Curious By Nature! - Critical Thinking (Ages 8-10) #12
- Build It! Fix It! Fun! - Building/Engineering (Ages 3-5) #14
- Backpack of Fun! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #15
- Animal Talk! - Animals (Ages 3-5) #17
- I'm Doing All That! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #18
- *Fur-Ever Reading! (Ages 8+) #19
- *Reading Is A Picnic! (Ages 3+) #20
- *A Wordy Adventure! (Ages 5+) #21
- *Born to Learn! (Ages 5+) #22
- *The Way I See It! - Creativity (Ages 8+) #23
*New Additions, May & August 2022
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Youth Services Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.